Birth name: Kristi Dawn Chenoweth
Nicknames: Cheno, Kris, KC, KCho
Date of Birth: 24 July, 1968
Birth Place: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
Height: 4' 11" (1.50 m)
- She is 1/4 Cherokee. Although she was adopted, she has information about her biological family.
- She is a natural brunette.
- She has incredible relative pitch and near-perfect pitch.
- As a child, Kristin auditioned for a role as an orphan in the 1982 film version of the
Broadway musical, "Annie." She didn't get the part, primarily because her "New Yorker" accent
(an imitation of Barbra Streisand) sounded too phony. But Kristin later played the dim-witted
villain Lily St. Regis in a made-for-TV movie of the musical.
- She earned a BA in musical theater and a MA in opera performance from Oklahoma City University,
which she attended on a scholarship to study voice.
- She is a member of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority.
- She competed successfully in several pageants college scholarships and to “sing on national
Television to get an agent”. She won "Miss Oklahoma City University" and “Miss State Capitol”
but never made it to the Miss American Pageant.
- During the Miss Pennsylvania Pageant, she won a full scholarship to the Philadelphia Academy
of Vocal Arts, but turned it down when she was cast in the musical Animal Crackers at
Papermill Playhouse, NJ.
- She performed in the show Way out West at Opryland Theme park in Nashville, TN in the
summer after her freshman year and never wanted to leave.
- She turned down the roles of Millie in Thoroughly Modern Millie and Inga in Young Frankenstein
to star in the TV-Shows Kristin (NBC) and Pushing Daisies (ABC), respectively.
Sutton Foster replaced her both times.
- Stephen Schwartz, who wrote Wicked the musical, wrote the role of Glinda with Kristin in
mind even before Kristin agreed to play the part.
- She turned down Playboy but did a bikini layout for FHM. She posed nude (but partially
covered by a tree) for Allure Magazine. After the shoot, she said she doesn’t recommended
“the concept for bark as underwear.”
- Nicole Kidman met Kristin after a performance of Wicked, and said she had enjoyed her
performance as Glinda the Good Witch and that she would get a part written specifically for her
in Kidman's new movie, Bewitched (2005). Reese Witherspoon also really wanted to work her after
meeting for and offered her the part of her sister in Four Christmases.
- She is close friends with Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks, Chely Wright, Kristen Bell and Sean Hayes.
- Composer Andrew Lippa (who wrote My new philosophy) is her long-time friend and has
conducted many of her concerts.
- She is the godmother of her best friend Erin Dilly’s two daughters. She was also a
bridesmaid at Erin’s wedding.
- Her dog Madeline Kahn Chenoweth, short Maddie was named after actress Madeline Kahn.
- She loves to do laundry.
- She loves to go to the New York Fashion Week.
- She has a very eclectic music taste that includes Adele, Eminem, Puccini, Leonard Bernstein,
Band Perry, Chely Wright, Sandy Patti, Trisha Yearwood, Eva Cassidy, Dolly Parton and Jerome Kern.
- She would love to die in a horror movie and collaborate with a rap artist.
- She has had numerous, painful injuries, resulting from a mixture of clumsiness and bad luck.
She got bit by a bat and by a poisonous spider, fell down cement stairs twice when (because of?)
wearing flats, lit her own hair on fire with a candle, got a 2nd degree burn from sitting on the
heating, broke legs, toes and rips while falling or stumbling in on-stage holes…
The list continues.
- She says about herself that she is cursed when it comes to TV. Every show she’s cast in SO
FAR got canceled shortly after. Her longest run were the final 2 seasons of The West Wing.
- She is inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame, the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame and the
Broken Arrow High School Great Graduates Hall of Fame.
- She sang at Carnegie Hall, the Metropolitan Opera, the Grand Ole Opry and at the Oscars.
- She sang several times for US presidents. In 2011, President Obama invited her to come along
to London to sing for Queen Elizabeth at a private event at Buckingham Palace.